Current Job Openings
The Texas Democratic Party is hiring! Check out our career openings:
|Regional Political Manager||Texas|
|Senior Communications Director||Texas|
|Voter File Manager||Texas|
All jobs will remain remote during COVID-19.
The Texas Democratic Party is currently seeking applications for an Executive Director. The Executive Director will oversee all programs, manage the senior staff team, lead the Party’s activities in elections and coordinated campaigns, oversee the financial health of the party, and fulfill other statutory requirements of the Texas Democratic Party. The Executive Director will report to the State Party Chair.
- Serve as chief strategist and tactical executive;
- Manage and oversee the work of all staff, including day-to-day management of senior staff teams. Recruits, interviews, and hires all staff;
- Responsible for creation and implementation of the annual budget, with SDEC along with the Chairman. Work with the Finance and Operations Teams to manage the organization’s finances, track income and expenditures, maintain records and accounts, sign and negotiate contracts;
- Maintain close working relationships with various partners including, but not limited to — SDEC, DNC, DCCC, DSCC, DGA, DLCC, NDRC, ASDC, and ASDED as well as other national and local partners as allowed by law;
- Work closely with the Chair to manage political relationships in-state and around the country with partners & allies, the SDEC, County Chairs, etc;
- Manage internal and external communications of the Texas Democratic Party — play a strategic role in developing the voice of the Party and branding Texas Democrats;
- Development of communications and messaging with the Chair, Staff, SDEC, Elected Officials, Candidates, and County Parties.
- Implement strategy and processes of the Chair and leadership of the Party effectively and expediently;
- Serves as spokesperson as appropriate;
- Supports the creation, building, and growing of the county parties throughout the state;
- Partners with the fundraising staff, Chair, Officers, Finance Committee, and donors to create a robust apparatus for fundraising and cultivating large and small donors
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- Proven track record of at least 5 years serving as a senior staff member, preferably Executive Director, to a large scale organization in the progressive movement
- Significant experience in Texas politics and deep relationships in Texas progressive political space
- Experience and comfort serving as fundraising principal for organization; comfortable asking for and securing significant donations
- Excellent project management and ability to multitask, overseeing a number of projects concurrently and successfully
- Strong, compassionate manager who has experience managing a large staff in politics from diverse backgrounds, with varying and competing priorities
$100,000+ / year, open to negotiation
How to apply: Please click here txdem.co/apply-ED and fill out this form to apply for this position. Resume submitted required; cover letter not required.
*If you apply by March 31, you will get priority for consideration. You may still apply, but there is no promise of review of the submitted application unless the position has not been filled.
Internship Program: Summer
The Texas Democratic Party is seeking Political Interns. You will learn about modern political campaigns and play a role in our coordinated campaign effort to elect Democrats up and down the ballot across the entire state of Texas. Interns will be asked to conduct research, work with VAN, help manage volunteers, contribute to our communication strategy, and support special projects as needed.
This is an entry level position, though competitive candidates will have some prior political experience.
- Excellent communicator
- You are passionate about electing Democrats up and down the ballot across the state of Texas
- You’re responsible and can complete projects in a timely manner, ask questions when they arise, and can ask for help when needed
- Can work independently or as part of a team
A computer and reliable internet access are needed for the internship . The internship is remote for the Summer 2021 term.
How to apply: txdem.co/Apply-Intern
Regional Political Manager
The Texas Democratic Party is hiring Regional Political Managers (RPM). A Regional Political Manager will be responsible for implementing the organization’s political program in their assigned geographic region. This will include supporting County Democratic Parties in developing their capacity and building out voter engagement programs; recruiting candidates and connecting them with resources; and additional areas, as assigned.
- Communicate and coordinate closely with the county Democratic Parties and other regional coalitions in your region to implement political programming
- Support and be responsive to questions from leaders of the county Democratic Parties in your region
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the key Democratic and progressive stakeholders and allied groups in your region
- Identify and talk to potential candidates about running for office and share resources to foster Democrats competing for every office across the state
- Maintain a strong understanding of campaign tactics, the Texas Democratic Party political programs and rules affecting the stakeholders you’re engaging with
This is not an entry-level position. Candidates should have 1-2 cycles of political experience. The ideal RPM candidate has experience as a campaign manager or other role developing and implementing campaign strategy for a state legislative campaign or larger or for a county Democratic Party.
- Strong verbal communicator
- Strong emotional intelligence and ability to navigate challenging interpersonal dynamics deftly
- Experience collaborating with partners to implement program or campaign strategy
- Robust understanding of current campaign strategy and tactics
- Mobile phone
- Reliable transportation
Starting salary is $55,000 – $60,000
April 15, or as soon as possible
How to apply: Please click here to apply txdem.co/apply-rpm.
Senior Communications Director
The Texas Democratic Party seeks a Senior Communications Director to manage the overall messaging strategy, act as spokesperson for the Texas Democratic Party when appropriate, maintain and grow connections and relationships with the local, state and national press, and work alongside Democratic candidates and allies to hold Republicans accountable while sharing Democratic priorities and messages. The Senior Communications Director will also be expected to contribute to several office-wide projects including large-scale fundraisers, large events, elections, the Convention and other party gatherings.
The Senior Communications Director is a senior member of the staff and will work closely with senior staff and Party Leadership to set strategic communications goals and raise the profile of the Texas Democratic Party and our candidates. Additionally, the Senior Communications Director will work closely with the communications/messaging and digital teams to keep all communications, messages, and branding clear, concise, and consistent with the party’s mission.
Job Details and Responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing overarching communications strategy, plans and messages for the State Party;
- Managing the Communications team and supporting & mentoring other staff in communications efforts;
- Ensuring message continuity across all areas of communications programs;
- Partnering with the Digital Director, senior staff, and Party Leadership to augment and build the Party brand;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with communications leaders amongst national, state and local Party allies and the media;
- Building and executing an aggressive statewide surrogate program;
- Writing and editing external communications, including talking points, scripts, press releases, and op-eds;
- Working with legislative leadership to take advantage of press opportunities;
- Maintaining and updating media lists;
- Monitoring and tracking local and national press for relevant stories and developments;
- Developing and deploying rapid responses to breaking news; and
- Perform other related duties as requested by the senior leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related field from an accredited university with a minimum of 5 years work experience, with two of those years working as a senior-level communications employee in political and/or advocacy communications;
- Previous experience with managing teams of 4 or more people;
- Familiarity with AP style writing;
- Excellent people, written and verbal communications skills;
- Strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously under strict deadlines;
- Strong on-the-record expertise, as well as experience with campaign operations and political communications;
- Experience with booking and prepping surrogates for state and national TV shows and interviews;
- Must be camera-ready and comfortable with doing on-camera interviews on a variety of topics;
- Adept at reviewing crafting plans from polling data;
- Flexibility to respond and work after 5 p.m. and weekends in certain circumstances;
- Responsive and positive team player who enjoys the versatility and constant new challenges;
- Proficient in Google Docs, media-monitoring software, Facebook, Twitter and other social media tools; and
- A strong commitment to Democratic values.
- Working laptop
- Mobile phone
- Reliable transportation
$80,000+, open to negotiation
This is a Texas-based full-time position and will include some nights and weekends.
May 1 or as soon as possible.
How to apply: Please click here to apply txdem.co/apply-scd.
Voter File Manager
The Texas Democratic Party is seeking a top-tier, self-motivated, and innovative Voter File Manager. They will be responsible for managing the Texas VAN and leading VAN support for hundreds of campaigns, county parties, PACs, and clubs. The Voter File Manager will also lead on developing VAN training and support documentation for all VAN users.
They will report to the Data Director. This is a cycle position, with employment through November 2022. Due to COVID-19 precautions, the position is temporarily remote, with the expectation of working in the TDP’s Austin, TX HQ once safe to do so.
- Managing Texas VAN support, including:
- Responding to VAN help tickets and maintaining + improving the VAN help ticket system
- Writing and updating VAN support documentation
- Providing guidance on escalations for VAN help tickets
- Overseeing VAN account requests and creation, including managing interns with account setup
- Implementing systems for access to and data sharing within VAN for all sorts of user types, like county parties and candidates
- Hiring and managing VAN support staff, including:
- Setting performance goals for VAN support staff
- Training and supporting other data team staff to assist with VAN support during weekend shifts
- Handling the timely and strategic acquisition of the statewide voter file and other key datasets, i.e. early voting centers and polling places
- Collaborating with other departments to develop training curriculum
- Providing strategic advice to campaigns, county parties, and all VAN users on VAN best practices and data standards.
- Providing data support to the coordinated and organizing teams
- Other data / tech duties to support geographies / districts, including VAN administration, creating phone banks, managing texting programs, and more
- You are kind, resourceful, a team player, and an excellent problem solver
- You’re an expert VAN user — you find joy in teaching others better ways to use VAN and sharing tips & tricks about the platform
- You have experience in electoral politics and are passionate about using data and technical tools to organize and advance progressive causes
- You are savvy with Google Sheets, including vlookups, queries, and other formulas for quickly matching and manipulating data
- You are an excellent manager of both teams and projects
- You have a knack for customer service, and have demonstrated commitment to helping stakeholders achieve success
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and have experience explaining technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
- You are passionate about electing Democrats up and down the ballot across the state of Texas
Technical skills we’re looking for:
- VoteBuilder / VAN
- Experience administering voter contact tools (like Hustle, ThruText, ThruTalk, Callhub, Spoke, Callserver COS, Reach, etc.)
- SQL experience (or interest in learning SQL) is a plus!
- Experience using Freshdesk, NGP 8, Zapier, Airtable, and/or Asana are all a plus
- A reliable laptop
- A reliable cell phone
This is a Texas based full-time position and will include some nights and weekends.
How to apply: Please click here to apply txdem.co/apply-vfm.
The Texas Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. Women and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.