Cornyn rushing to throw his political allies under the bus in a desperate attempt to save his sinking campaign
Austin, Texas — Vulnerable incumbent Senator John Cornyn, who spent years touting how staunch of an ally he was to President Trump, is now singing a new tune as he faces the toughest re-election campaign of his political career. Cornyn, ever the spineless D.C. politician, was called out multiple times in the last few weeks for lying about his record trying to convince Texans he had stood up to the president “in private.”
Cornyn has never found the courage to hold this administration accountable, regardless of how heinous their rhetoric or damaging their policies are for working Texans. But during interviews with newspaper editorial boards, Cornyn has desperately tried to spin his abysmal record.
We call bullshit.
Here’s what Cornyn has said in meetings with media when seeking their endorsement, as his campaign flails:
- HEADLINE: Sen. John Cornyn says Trump ‘let his guard down’ on COVID
- “‘I think he let his guard down, and I think in his desire to try to demonstrate that we are somehow coming out of this and that the danger is not still with us — I think he got out over his skis and frankly, I think it’s a lesson to all of us that we need to exercise self discipline,’ Cornyn told the Houston Chronicle editorial board.”
- HEADLINE: Cornyn says he broke with Trump on deficit, border wall, but kept opposition private
- “Cornyn initially described his relationship with Trump as ‘maybe like a lot of women who get married and think they’re going to change their spouse, and that doesn’t usually work out very well.’”
- “The senator declined our request for a joint meeting with his Democratic opponent, MJ Hegar… and to permit video distribution of the interview.”
But here’s Cornyn’s real record of marching lock-step with Trump at the expense of Texans:
- Cornyn voted in favor of the Trump administration’s lawsuit seeking to dismantle the Affordable Care Act and its protections for people with preexisting conditions.
- Cornyn voted TWICE to allow the Trump administration to siphon money away from Texas military families for border wall construction – funding that Texas will not have restored.
- Cornyn was silent after Trump called military members, veterans, and those killed while serving “losers” and “suckers.”
- Cornyn excused Trump ignoring Russian bounties placed on US soldiers in Afghanistan by saying, “I think the president can’t single-handedly remember everything… that he’s briefed on…”
- Cornyn supported the Trump administration’s decision to remove US troops from Syria, paving the way for ethnic cleansing of the US’ Kurdish allies.
- Cornyn echoed Trump’s racist rhetoric, calling COVID-19 the “China Virus” and blaming it on Chinese “culture where people eat bats and snakes and dogs and things like that.”
- Cornyn defended Trump after clergy and peaceful protesters were tear-gassed for a photo-op by saying Trump had a “strong and correct message.”
- Cornyn refused to condemn Trump after he spread conspiracy theories about an elderly protester whose head was bloodied by Buffalo police, instead saying, “You know, a lot of this stuff just goes over my head.”
- Cornyn votes with Trump 95% of the time.
Texas Democratic Party Deputy Cornyn War Room Spokesperson Billy Begala released the following statement:
“John Cornyn is a political coward who has aided and abetted this administration as they seek to rip health care away from Texans during a pandemic, strip money from Texas military bases to fund a useless border wall, and abandon Texans struggling to cope with the COVID-19 crisis. Clearly, Cornyn sees the writing on the wall for his political future and is now lying about his record as he hides from the president. John Cornyn is the epitome of a cowardly DC politician.”