AUSTIN, Texas — Today, the Texas Democratic Party congratulates the first round of candidates recognized through our Project LIFT (Local Investment in the Future of Texas) program for the upcoming May elections. The Texas Democratic Party will be recognizing additional candidates in the coming days.
Texas Democrats’ Project LIFT is designed to provide recognition and additional support for municipal candidates who identify as Democrats. While municipal offices are non-partisan, Democrats are investing in electing local leaders who are champions for Texas communities — candidates who will govern in a way that promotes Democratic values today and will be our rising stars of tomorrow.
Our current slate of 2021 Project LIFT candidates includes:
- Shani Dellimore Barrax, candidate for Carrollton City Council, Place 5
- Helen Chang, candidate for Collin College Board of Trustees
- Rafa Diaz, candidate for Judson ISD, District 7 At Large
- Marc Garcia, candidate for Pflugerville ISD Trustee, Place 1
- Marquette Greene-Young, candidate for Iowa Colony City Council, Position 3
- Mary Harris, candidate for Wylie City Council, Place 4
- Wil Kennedy, candidate for Iowa Colony City Council, Position 4
- Elisa Klein, candidate for Plano City Council, Place 8
- Steve Lavine, candidate for Plano City Council, Place 2
- Cheryl E Lee, candidate for Bastrop City Council Place 4
- Janneke Parrish, candidate for Round Rock City Council, Place 3
Texas Democratic Party Chair Gilberto Hinojosa issued the following statement:
“I’m thrilled to announce our first round of Project LIFT candidates for the May 1st Municipal Elections. These local leaders will be champions for our communities, and will fight every day to make life better for Texans — one city or school district at a time.
“Right now, Texans are facing real challenges — whether it’s coping with the ongoing pandemic, fighting to keep their businesses afloat in an uncertain economy, or working hard to create more opportunity for their kids. With Project LIFT, Texas Democrats are investing in local leaders who will tackle these issues from the ground up. Our LIFT candidates will fight for our schools, our families, and our communities, and help Texans make their voices heard where it matters most.”