Texans from both parties have criticized Senator Ted Cruz, Governor Greg Abbott, and Republican leaders in Texas for their failed leadership during a deadly crisis. Instead of helping Texans, Senator Cruz abandoned his state for a vacation and Governor Abbott has been lying to try to point fingers and score political points.
Texas Democrats blasted Senator Ted Cruz, Governor Greg Abbott and Republican leadership for their failed leadership.
- Beto O’Rourke: “Texans are suffering without power because those in power have failed us. As with Covid, a natural disaster has become far deadlier due to the inaction & ineptitude of Abbott and Texas’ Republican leadership. This didn’t have to happen and doesn’t have to continue.”
- Julian Castro: “This is becoming the worst state-level policy disaster since the Flint water crisis. We have state leadership—Gov. Abbott, Lt. Gov. Patrick—that want to point fingers at everything except the problem. For the last few decades, they have been the problem.”
- Rep. Colin Allred: “I’m shocked at the callousness and arrogance that we’ve seen from some of our statewide leaders. With Texas in a crisis, I’ve been working to get answers & help folks through this. There’s many better things our Governor & Senator could be doing than lying and going on vacation.”
- Rep. Sylvia Garcia: “I just think it’s incredible insensitivity.”
- Texas Democratic Party Chair Gilberto Hinojosa: “Ted Cruz jetting off to Mexico while Texans remain dying in the cold isn’t surprising but it is deeply disturbing and disappointing. … Now, he is proving to be an enemy to our state by abandoning us in our greatest time of need. For the 21st time, the Texas Democratic Party calls on Ted Cruz to resign or be expelled from office.”
- Texas State Rep. Gene Wu: “Guess which US Senator from Texas flew to Cancun while the state was freezing to death and having to boil water?”
Texas Republicans even refused to come to Senator Cruz’s defense after he abandoned the state to go on vacation in the middle of a crisis.
- Texas Republican Party Chair Allen West: “That’s something that he has to answer to his constituents about.”
- Texas Republican Strategist Brendan Steinhauser: “You need to be seen as engaged, you need to be seen as active in your community, helping out.”