For Immediate Release
February 3, 2019
Contact: Abhi Rahman, (720) 299-0654, [email protected]
RELEASE: Texas Democrats on Today’s Voter Registration Deadline
Austin, TX — Today is the voter registration deadline for the Texas Primary. Texas Democrats are expecting high voter registration numbers, proving once again that Texas Democrats are fired up and ready to win in November.
Texas Democratic Party Chair Gilberto Hinojosa issued the following statement:
“Texas is the biggest battleground state in the country. We know that our democracy works better when more people vote, not less. Across the state, Democrats have the opportunity to decide who can best represent our Party and that starts with registering to vote.
“We are committing our resources to register and engage a new electorate that is more progressive and represents the diversity of our great state. We encourage Texas voters to access more information on voter registration at MyTexasVotes.com and get registered today.
“Together, we will win the White House, take out John Cornyn, send more Texas Democrats to Congress, break the supermajority in the Texas Senate, flip the Texas House, and elect hundreds of local Democrats across the state.”
Last month, the Texas Democratic Party announced its innovative 2020 voter registration program — the largest in Texas history. To view the Texas Democratic Party’s voter registration plan, click here.
Highlights from the programs include:
- We are going to have 1,000 field organizers and canvassers on the ground in 2020.
- The Texas Democratic Party is gearing up to mail hundreds of thousands of voter registration applications to unregistered voters across the state.
- We’re launching a year-round voter assistance hotline.
- We are building machine-learning-based models to quickly identify the partisanship-leaning of new and low propensity voters so that campaigns can mobilize Democratic voters.
- We are hiring dedicated staff to engage every part of our Democratic coalition — including our AAPI, African-American, Latinx, LGBTQ+, youth, and Disability communities — and to narrow the gap in rural committees.
- The Texas Democratic Party is working alongside fellow Democratic organizations to ensure these young voters are pinpointed for voter registration and mobilization.
By the numbers:
- We anticipate the voter rolls will swell to upwards of 18,000,000 registered voters in 2020.
- The Texas Democratic Party is focused on registering the estimated 2,600,000 Texans who are likely to vote Democratic if they register to vote.