Austin, TX — Texas Democrats are gaining even more momentum this election cycle. It has never been more clear that Texas is the future of the Democratic Party. According to Gallup, Texas is one of 15 competitive states, “a difference between Republicans and Democrats of five percentage points or less.” [Gallup, February 1, 2018]
Texas Democratic Party Chair Gilberto Hinojosa issued the following statement:
“Texans are ready for change and the numbers prove it.
“Texas Democrats are more competitive than ever before – we’re youthful, energetic, increasingly diverse, and in the fastest growing state in the nation. This enthusiasm spurred a record number of Democratic candidates to fight for a progressive economic agenda and put an end to Trump Republicans.
“Texans aren’t buying what Donald Trump and his Republican Party are selling. Ted Cruz, Greg Abbott, Dan Patrick, Ken Paxton, George P. Bush, and Sid Miller should take note. While Texas Republicans focus on red meat for their fringe base, Texas Democrats are fighting for great public schools, affordable healthcare, and an economy that brings back the middle class.”
- 54% of Texans disapprove of Donald Trump
- Nine 2016 battleground states favor Donald Trump more than Texas.
- 32 states favor Donald Trump more than Texas.
- Polling numbers have Texas in the same bracket as Democratic states like California and New York
- 38 states have Trump polling under 50, including Texas