BREAKING ICYMI: Leaked Audio from Republican Governor Greg Abbott: Reopening Texas “Will Lead to an Increase” of Spread of COVID-19
Governor Abbott: “It’s Almost Ipso Facto, The More You Have People Out There, The Greater the Chance You Have of Transmission”
Austin, TX — In a bombshell leaked audio, first reported by Quorum Report, Governor Greg Abbott finally admitted what we’ve known all along: Prematurely reopening Texas will lead to an increase of spread of COVID-19.
- “As he prepares to once again brief Texans this afternoon on the progress of the state’s reopening amid the COVID-19 pandemic, a partial recording of one of his private conference calls with lawmakers surfaced in which Gov. Greg Abbott talked about the way the spread of the disease will increase as his plan is implemented.”
- “Gov. Abbott has been briefing lawmakers and staffers on private conference calls for months, updating them on the way his office is responding to the unfolding public health crisis. In his public statements so far, Abbott has largely focused on the idea that Texas will see an increase in the numbers thanks to increased testing.”
- “But on the recording of his private conference call that appears to be from his discussion with Texas House members on Friday afternoon, what Abbott said was “there is no way to avoid an increase in numbers as state government loosens restrictions on the movement of people and allows certain kinds of commerce to restart.”
- “‘It’s almost ipso facto, the more that you have people out there the greater the possibility there is for transmission,’ Abbott said in the leaked audio. He was responding to what appeared to be a straightforward question about the correlation between reopening business and the spread of COVID-19.”
- “The fact of the matter is pretty much every scientific and medical report shows that whenever you have a reopening, whether you want to call it a reopening of business or just a reopening of society, in the aftermath of something like this it actually will lead to an increase in spread,’ Abbott said.”
- “Gov. Abbott said that the goal has never been to reduce transmission to zero, which of course would not be possible with such a contagious disease. ‘The goal is to reopen using strategies, that are proven strategies, that can continue to contain the spread of COVID-19.”
Texas Democratic Party Executive Director Manny Garcia issued the following statement:
“Republicans are not here to protect you or your family. Governor Abbott finally admitted that prematurely opening Texas is going to lead to more cases and more deaths. Republicans are putting our families’ lives at risk so their billionaire donors can get richer. What Texas Republicans say in public yet again doesn’t match what they say in private.
“It is absolutely shameful Governor Abbott won’t face the press, take the tough questions, and admit the deadly risks of his decisions. He knew people would die after reopening Texas and now he needs to own it.”