What is VAN?
VAN (Voter Action Network/ Votebuilder) is a database used nationally by Democratic campaigns and progressive organizations to perform voter contact. Your VAN subscription includes:
- Lists of registered voters, regularly updated with newly registered voters
- Platform to canvass, phone bank, record contacts
- Scripts with TDP messaging
- Guidance on who to contact for different types of voter contact, including lists of likely Democrats and persuadable voters and Race/Ethnicity, partisan and issue models
- Phone numbers, including cells from TDP and DNC acquisitions at no additional cost to the campaign
- Partnership with mail and digital companies to facilitate easy digital and mail buys
- Access to pre-negotiated rates for digital tools (e.g., Mobilize, Hustle)
How do I access VAN?
- Fill out a VAN Request form, here: txdem.co/VAN-Request.
- More info on Requesting VAN Access can be found here: txdem.co/Get-VAN-Help
- The TDP Data team will provide a quote, and then ask you for payment and share paperwork to sign.
- Once both payment and paperwork is received, the Data team will create and activate your account.
- You are good to go!
- Log in to your VAN account, and ensure you set up 2 Factor Authentication.
- To log in, go to texasvan.com and click Login with Action ID.
- For more information on critical security steps we can take for VAN and for protecting our organization’s data in today’s world, please visit: txdem.co/Cyber-Security.
See txdem.co/2fa for more help on Action ID and 2 Factor Authentication.
Now that my Campaign is in VAN, how can VAN help me?
- Find Democratic voters in your district
- VAN allows you to cut lists based on geography and various partisan models.
- Register folks who moved into your district
- VAN is regularly updated with National Change of Address (NCOA) information, so you can see likely Democrats who have moved into your county and need to update their registration and/or register to vote.
- Send holiday or birthday cards to constituents
- VAN will provide you all of that information.
- Setup a block walk or phone bank
- Find folks to robo call, text, serve digital ads to, or otherwise contact
These things all sound great, but how do I get trained to know how to do them?
Once you sign up for VAN, you will receive access to a myriad of training options, including:
- Online courses through Training Platform (Training Platform Help)
- TDP VAN FAQ that is constantly updated with latest information and best practices
- Invitation to TDP VAN Facebook group, and VAN slack channel on TDP Campaign workspace
- Comprehensive List of all Data & VAN Resources
- Not sure where to get VAN Help? Checkout this flow chart
I’m in VAN, and I see two tabs: My Voters and My Campaign. What’s up with those and how are they different?
- There are two sides to VAN: My Voters and My Campaign
- My Voters houses the permanent voterfile whereas, My Campaign is unique to your own campaign
- My Campaign houses powerful volunteer management & Event tools
I think phone banking makes sense as a priority for our campaign right now. How do I do that?